Pages

Friday, December 1, 2017

Short story series. Human Touch.

The Human Touch.
I was sitting in the balcony admiring the sunset with its beautiful hues of the orange sky,  that enchants the creative human eyes. I was in complete awe of nature’s beauty and its sincere service to the world which is done in silent contemplation, with its full potential and selfless existence. I have always been very close to nature because I felt that it was only the nature or the superpower that could understand me and give me solace. Rest of the world was as if against me. Opposing my existence, forbidding me my rights. At times I felt lost in the complex world.
It had been a hectic day. I had gone for the Marathon run in the morning, after that my work schedule at the NGO, I worked for, and the entire afternoon I was busy with my PRO job at the Mckensy’s. It was a busy day indeed, but quite satisfying and joyful, as I spent my time for some special purpose. I am a person who loves doing things for others, to help people, to do meaningful social work. And that is why I joined the NGO. I believed in giving some meaning to life.
I am in my 25th year, enjoying life at its best, and in love with a handsome colleague, Rohan. He loves me and cares for me. He is my complete support system.  He is by me in every thick and thin I faced in the five years of our relationship. My mind went back to the memory of a dilemma and turmoil I was in.
That day I was feeling a bit low and depressed over the agitations that were going on outside my house since about a week.  The dilemma was that I was born with two hearts beating in my chest. A rare thing to happen, but true to the core. Initially, the doctors were not sure whether I would survive with two hearts pumping inside a tiny body. But I grew up to be a beautiful and healthy girl and completely fit. My case had always been a centre of attention and controversy. Different people reacted differently to it. As years passed by a strange situation arose and people started demanding one heart from me to be donated. It sounded absurd to me. Donate my heart?!! How weird. I could not digest the thought of it. Simply unacceptable. I would get nervous, upset and agitated at the thought of cutting off a precious organ from my body. I shuddered at the thought. Then one day my mother tried to discuss about it with me.
‘Are you sure, Rhea?  asks my mother.
‘Of course I’m. Survival of the fittest, mother. I am not going against Darwin. Also I don’t want unnecessary scars on my body.’
It’s a known fact that we all are born to die. And frankly, I don’t understand why it has to be made into such a big deal. If it were not for my mother I would have said that to the bunch of people outside my house, some of them with young kids, shouting slogans, waving placards, literally wanting me to cut one of my beating hearts out.
“Save A Life. Donate!” they shout.
For someone who is in billions, 7.125 billion to be exact, I expect to be treated better. Scientists are still befuddled regarding my condition that gave me two hearts in my mother’s womb. But years of research and sticking needles into me have led them nowhere, and they have labeled me as a freak mutation. It’s so rare- literally one in all humankind- that they didn’t even name the anomaly (as they call it, I will call awesomeness). I wanted to name the condition myself, something in the lines of Rhea’s Hearts awesome, but the doctors aren’t thrilled with the suggestion. Instead they want to cut one of them out and save a life. Huh?
An IQ of 180, increased concentration, exceptional athleticism and phenomenal metabolism rate- are just the few boring benefits of an increased blood circulation. Why would I ever give that up?
Mother was neutral in her views. She did not force me for anything. She told me it was my choice. But for her a humanistic approach also mattered. I was adamant. I knew it was a great job to donate a heart and save a life. But then, I was not even responsible for any other life. I had not taken it from anyone. God had given me two hearts. Then why should I part from it?
Just then Rohan came home. He could make out my clumsy mood and suggested that we go out for dinner for a change. It was a good idea, but I feared being surrounded by media if I went out. My life had become very depressing in the last week. Everywhere I went I was followed by some media persons, and strange or rather irritating questions were asked. I told Rohan to drop the idea. He understood the reason and told me that we were going to a place where no one would follow. My mother also agreed and off we went to his house, where I could be peaceful and fearless.
‘Rohan, what stupidity is this? Why am I being made a target of controversy? Don’t I have the right to live my life as I wish?’ I questioned aimlessly, lost in my thoughts.
‘It’s Ok, dear. Forget it. We are here to change your mood. Don’t keep on thinking about it.’ He tried to console me.
He brought me a soft drink and we sat on the moonlit porch. Cool breeze, quiet cozy environment. It was a lovely garden house he lived in. I just loved its peaceful ambience. He handed me the glass and bent forward to kiss my forehead.
‘Relax, Dear!’  he said.  I felt better and relieved. He sat down beside me.
‘OK, what will you have for dinner? Let me tell you I have brought fresh fish, some chicken mince, fresh mushrooms and broccoli. All your favourite things. What would you like to have tonight?’ he asked.
‘Anything will do,’ I said absentmindedly.
On seeing my condition he came closer, gave me a tight hug.
‘Rhea, are you going to be here, in this moment? Are you going to accompany me on this beautiful night or should I drop you home?’ he sounded a bit offended.
 I immediately came to my senses. Acknowledging how he was trying to help me to come out of the situation. And I immediately apologized and tried t change my mood.  We had a wonderful dinner of grilled fish and mushrooms, mince cutlets and sautéed broccoli deliciously cooked by his maid. It was fantastic. I felt so good and happy being with him. After dinner he gave me a small gift, expressing his love for me, when we were sitting under the starlit sky. I was touched by his loving gesture.  At the same time I felt guilty. He was doing so much for me. And what was I doing?  I was only making excuses and delaying our marriage, because I was lost in this strange situation, where I was made a social target.  People were making my life difficult and I was not able to analyze the situation or make a decision, nor was I coming out of it. My work, my life, my relationship were at stake, just because people wanted my heart. How absurd!!
I stood there with the gift in my hand, with tears in my eyes that were constantly rolling down my cheeks, staring constantly at Rohan’s delightful countenance. And there he was to whom nothing else mattered as long as I was with him. I stood there silently, then I moved towards him, closer, looking into his eyes, I broke down. He held me close to him, without uttering a word. I said, ‘Rohan, please help me, I don’t know how to handle this situation. I don’t want to cut off my heart. I want to be one whole, complete self. I don’t know what to do. On one side is my body and on the other side is humanity. What should I do?’ and I was sobbing in between my words. He held me tight for some time. Then slowly, softly he said, ‘Do you trust me? Will you let me handle the situation without any excuses or arguments? Will you do and accept whatever I say?’
I nodded between my sobs. He kissed me and made me sit down, and softly said, ‘Wait for tomorrow morning.’                  I was anxious, what was going to happen the next morning. Seeing my quizzical look, he smiled and said, ‘Didn’t you say you trust me? Then be patient.’
I felt really good. My mood had changed completely after that because I trusted him. He always had easy solutions for the most difficult problems. He was my lucky mascot. He dropped me home and promised to come over early next morning. I slept peacefully that night.
Around 9 am. When the crowd outside my house had started shouting slogans, Rohan stepped out and gestured them to be quiet. He was going to say something. He stood there before them, a crowd of more than hundred people and the media persons, he stood fearlessly and most confident. He said,
‘I am Rohan Kapoor, Rhea’s fiancé. I am here to make an announcement that might be of interest to you all. Rhea and I are getting married next week as I have to go abroad next month. And I wish to take her along with me as my legitimate wife because my mother is awaiting both of us there. It is really sad that she will now not be able to donate any of her body parts as I am eager to start my family soon. I would not approve her of any major physical operation. I hope that has made everything clear. And from now onwards I expect co operation from you all. Please do not disturb Rhea anymore, as she too has a right to live her life on her own terms. We do understand the humanistic view and we promise to help people in whatever possible way we can do. So please excuse us and do not hold any such campaigns outside the house. I am really thankful to you all for listening to me peacefully. Thank you.’
There was complete silence. The people quietly dispersed. I was just blank. There were no more slogans or shouting. I could not imagine. Such a simple solution, which I never thought of. In all this confusion I had pushed my marriage to the backseat. Unnecessarily worrying about what would happen to me if my heart was cut out. How would I survive, and all the stupid thoughts connected to it. But I could not think that my marriage could bring such a simple solution as I also had a right to live my life on my will.
I was so happy. I was finally relieved of all the mental torture or self proclaimed stress that I was going through. I had never faced such helplessness in my life. But this situation shook me.
The ringtone on my mobile, ‘Careless whisper’, brought me back to my present. It was Rohan at the other end. Our tickets for United States had arrived and we were to fly next Monday. I felt the cool evening breeze, sitting in the balcony of my mother’s home. It had been just one week to my marriage and I was so happy and eager to fly.
“Rhea Rohan Kapoor”. It felt so good. So complete.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment