Pages

Friday, December 1, 2017

Short story series are the stories submitted for Times of India Write India campaign. ---- Sapphire.

HOW BLUE IS MY SAPPHIRE.
     It was 6 am. I was standing in the balcony of my apartment on the 11th floor. The cool morning breeze was so soothing and refreshing. The Sun still below the horizon. The sky in its beautiful hues of blue-grey-golden yellow. A picturesque sight that touches the heart. Just then a memory of my hometown came up in a flash. The cool catchy weather reminded me of that day when my friend Rita and I were getting ready for a morning walk. That day we were to go to our new college. It was our first day. We were so excited. We returned from the half an hour walk and were all set to go to college, impressively dressed and so happy.
     Just then the doorbell rang. It was the dudhwala on his regular time. I was stunned as I opened the door.
‘Who are you? And what do you want?’  I questioned directly at the sight of an unknown person standing in my doorway.
‘I am your new dudhwala, Madam.’ He said.  But something about him disturbed me immensely. I took the milk and shut the door. I got busy with my work as I had to rush to office at 8 am. But his face, his body language, something about him kept coming up in my mind again and again. Who was he I thought. Had I seen him before? I could not recall.
     My pet dog Shiney came to me wagging his tail, as he heard someone at the door. I ignored him as I was lost in my thoughts, but he insisted and pulled at my clothes. He wished to go out for a stroll. I realized it was his time to go out. I took him out after sometime.  As I was passing by the gate, I saw the new dudhwala talking to another strange person outside the compound wall.  That person I noticed was also someone I felt I had seen before.
     My work at the office was hectic that day, but I felt even more exhausted as something was disturbing me at the back of my mind. I could not fathom it.  As I was entering the elevator suddenly I recalled the face of the dudhwala. It came up in a flash. A face I had seen 20 years ago. Yes, I was sure it was the same face, though a bit more matured. The face of a criminal, of a person who had taken two lives. It was the face of Sanjay, the vagabond, the biggest rogue in college where Rita and I had joined. The entire picture came up in my mind. And the other person I saw talking to him in the morning was Junaid, his partner in all his deeds.
     How come they were here? What were they planning now? Did he recognize me? Suddenly a series of questions, and fear started erupting in my mind.
     I remembered it was our first day at college. Rita and I went with the excitement of meeting new friends, teachers and a new environment. We looked forward to that day since a long time. After about an hour of the introductory class we started to go around the premises to explore the entire campus. It was so beautiful. We were so happy. As we entered the second building of the college, we saw that it was quite isolated and quiet. There were no students in that wing. We felt it strange but thought that maybe as it was the first day so there may be no classes there. We went on as we just wanted to have a look around the campus. After a while we felt someone was following us, we turned around but there was no one around. We were bit scared and decided to move out of the building. Just then a creaky sound of a door came up. We turned to the direction of the sound and moved little further to peep in. As we did so we were terrified.
     A chill ran down my spine. Rita too was shocked. There were four persons in the room. Two of them were standing over the boys and forcing them to have something. The boys were refusing, but the other two persons had guns in their hands and were threatening them at gunpoint. We were just staring, dumbfounded. As the person shifted a little, I could see that he had some sort of powder packet, Drugs, in his hand, that he was forcing the boys to have. One of the boys was bold and tried to kick them and suddenly the bullet went off through his forehead. He died on the spot and the other fell unconscious with fear. He was also beaten up on his head. The two persons with guns were Sanjay and Junaid. They were running a drug racket in the college premises and forced the juniors to have drugs to build up their business. I pulled at Rita and we quietly tried to move away from there. But they heard our footsteps and ran after us. Luckily a group of students was going towards the library and we joined the group.  Sanjay and Junaid had heard our footsteps but not seen us. They ran up to the library but could not detect us as we pretended to be searching for some books with other students. Though we were trembling beneath. We kept mum and were saved that day. Though we had witnessed the crime no one knew about us.
     The legal procedures went on. Both Sanjay and Junaid were caught by the staff and teachers as they rushed to the room at the sound of the gun fire. They did not get a chance to escape because they were searching for two persons who had witnessed the crime and in the mean time other people from the college gathered around. The boy, who was shot, died on the spot and the other was badly injured on the head, he later went into coma.   I would become upset at the thought of the whole incident. Sanjay and Junaid were arrested and legal proceedings followed. Their crime was proved as they were caught red handed with pistols. They were sentenced to several years of imprisonment. There was no need for us to come into the picture.  We went to college for three years with constant fear, pretending as if we were unaware of the things happening around us. It affected me very badly. After completing graduation Rita went abroad and I was married. But I settled in Pune, whereas my husband stayed back in my hometown.
     Sanjay and Junaid’s sudden appearance had disturbed me immensely. Did they know that I was a witness to their crime? Were they here for some reason? Had they recognized me? But they had never known or seen me to be present there?
Questions upon questions, doubt and fear gripped me. My mind was going berserk. I reached the 11th floor and walked towards my apartment. I put the key to the door and surprisingly the door opened itself. I was shocked. Who had entered my house without a key? As I entered, I found Shiney grunting in a corner. He was bleeding profusely with a deep cut on his stomach. What was happening? Why was the door open?  Who could hurt Shiney so insanely? I tried to save Shiney but within minutes he passed away. I went blank. What was happening I could not understand. I called the security, but he was not present. I went down the elevator to ask for help, but to my amazement, there was no on at the security chamber. Sanjay and Junaid were sitting there and chatting. They said the security had gone out for some work. I was scared. I could sense something fishy. What were Sanjay and Junaid doing here at that hour? I said, ‘My dog is hurt, can you please help me?’ They were more than willing to do so. I suddenly remembered that when I left my apartment I had noticed, my bedroom door was open, which I always closed while going out, and some splinters of wood were lying there. Someone had tried to break open my cupboard but could not succeed.  I could immediately guess that it must be the two of them who had tried to rob my home. And that Shiney must have attacked them and they slit him. They must have been waiting for me to come home. I became alert. I did not want to go up alone with them. I immediately refused to go up and called the police and medical help. I was now sure that they had not recognized me, but were here with another plan of robbery. It gave me some relief. But their presence over there, their hurting Shiney and the act of robbery terrified me.
      After about an hour, things were settled. The police and the medical aid came over. Shiney was taken away and later given a decent burial in my presence. I felt lonely without him. I was scared to stay at home alone that night knowing that Sanjay and Junaid were in the vicinity. As I returned home I saw them being taken away by the police for attempt to robbery and hurting my pet, and trespassing private property. A sense of relief came over me. I entered my apartment and called over my friend Sunita. She was more than obliged to come over and stay with me that night. I wept in her presence and narrated to her the entire incident of the college and how the same persons were here after years. I had recognized them. But something more, some strange feeling at the back of my mind kept on disturbing me.
     ‘What is it Rekha?’ Sunita inquired.
She had known me since years and had never seen me in such a condition before.
     ‘It’s OK, I understand Shiney’s loss is unbearable for you, but I feel there is something more to it. Apart from your college incident, it seems there is something you are hiding or running away from either yourself or from accepting it. What is it? Feel free to share. Release your burden. You will feel better.’ She said.
     I kept quiet for some time. Not knowing what to say and whether to say it at all. Would it make any sense?
     It was around 1 am. There was no trace of sleep for either of us. Shiney’s absence was haunting me. Sunita looked tired. I told her to go to sleep, but she preferred accompanying me in the living room. After a period of silence, I just began to pour my heart out.
     ‘That incident in the college had left us jilted. It had also saved us from a major trouble by not being detected. No one knew about us being witness to the crime. Rita went away abroad and there were no news from her ever since. But I was unable to completely forget what I had seen at my subconscious level. I would feel guilty at times. Not for protecting ourselves by being quiet, but for not being able to help the other boy immediately as he was badly injured. If he would have got immediate medical help, he wouldn’t have slipped into coma. Wasn’t it our selfishness that led us to run away from the place to protect ourselves instead of helping him? This question often disturbed me. I felt guilty. Was it not our human responsibility?’
Sunita did not interrupt. I went on.  
‘Perhaps that is why I chose to live in this city, rather than living in my home town Rajasthan. After marriage I took my transfer to this city. My husband Sumeet opposed it severely as he could not give up his executive job and shift here. Years passed on, our differences and separation led to divorce. I am here alone now. But that fear, that guilt made me so arrogant that I sacrificed everything, even a good marriage, to run away from that guilt and fear. I thought moving out of the place would help me overcome it. And see it is brought back to me to face it.’
Sunita interrupted then, ‘Rekha, you are wrong here. There is nothing to feel guilty about. Any sane person would first think of protecting himself than helping others. You did the same. Come out of it now. Release that guilt. You are safe. It is Ok. It was for your own good or else they would have attacked you too. See Rita, has she ever looked back and complained about it or allowed the incident to ruin her life? How could you do that? You are at the prime of your career. How could you hang on to the silly thought of guilt?
Today, I will tell you about a fact of my life that nobody knows. I was physically and mentally tortured in an orphanage where I grew up. I never let the supervisors have their way with me and so they continuously harassed me. It led to my mental depression and schizophrenia. But I never lost hope. Since then, my life has been affected due to my schizophrenic condition. I kept on taking medical help and whatever I could do to overcome it. Thankfully, today I am out of it. My husband Anand has been really caring and helpful. All of us live with our past. All of us allow it to shape our future. But some of us know how to shrug the past. I think that is who I am.  I am now the general manager in my company, am earning well and enjoying my life. You too come out of it. I have heard your husband also is still alone. He is waiting for you. Go back to your hometown.  Face your fear. Don’t let such incidents change your life. These are fears we need to overcome. Life is full of negatives and positives. Take the positive route fearlessly, don’t run away from it. It will lead you nowhere.’
     Her words were making sense. I felt better. We fell asleep on the sofa.
     At 3 am, my phone rang. It was Sumeet.
Sunita had informed him about the whole incident. He was concerned.
‘Come back Rekha. It is Ok. We will try to make up for our differences. I am waiting for you. I still love you.’ His words were ringing in my ears for long.
     I took the 6 am train to Rajasthan.

No comments:

Post a Comment